Signature Programs Old
The Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation’s Signature Programs are multi-year commitments to programs that will transform healthcare in South Florida and the world beyond.
Millions of school children around the nation—indeed the world—cannot perform well in school due to underlying health conditions. For more than a decade, the Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation School Health Initiative has helped more than 15,000 children of nine Miami-Dade schools in a unique health program that has become a model for communities around the United States. As the Human Genome Project showed the world the potential that medical genetics has in diagnosing, treating, and curing disease, the Dr. John T. Macdonald
Foundation Department of Human Genetics at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine has established a world-class genetics research and education program in South Florida.
In 2012, a third Signature Program was created—the Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation Biomedical Nanotechnology Institute at the University of Miami (BioNIUM). Projects underway include a filter that captures tumor cells in the blood, the use of nanotechnology to restore eyesight, “smart pills” that detect glucose and release insulin when needed, and targeting tumors with anti-cancer drugs encapsulated in nanoparticles.
Our 2018 Grantees
- 1A Chance for Therapy – Act4Me
- 2Camp Boggy Creek
- 3Canine Assisted Therapy
- 4Caring For Miami
- 5Coral Gables Woman’s Club Children’s Dental Clinic
- 6Epilepsy Foundation of Florida
- 7Good Hope Equestrian Training Center
- 8Hearing Research Institute
- 9Miami Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired – Heiken Children’s Vision Program
- 10Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
- 11Open Door Health Center
- 12The Sundari Foundation – Lotus House
- 13Teach For America
- 14United Cerebral Palsy of South Florida Charter Schools
- 15The Victory Center
- 16Wounded Veterans Relief Fund