History of Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation
Dr. John Tremper Macdonald Was One Of The Founders Of Doctors’ Hospital, Which Opened In Coral Gables In 1949. A Well-Respected Gynecologist And Surgeon Who Became A Leader In Aviation Medicine, Dr. Macdonald Established Medical Safeguards For World War II Pilots And Pan American Airlines’ Employees Which Became The Model For The Medical Testing Program Currently Used For Flight Pilots And Crews For Many Airlines.
Upon his death in 1951, the Foundation was established in his memory and in subsequent years, came to own and operate Doctors’ Hospital as a non-profit hospital. In 1992 when the hospital was sold to HealthSouth Rehabilitation Corporation, the Foundation retained its name and used the proceeds from the sale to become a grant-making foundation.
The mission of the Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation is to “provide funding for programs and projects designed to improve, preserve or restore the health and healthcare of the people in Miami-Dade County.” Since becoming a grant-making foundation in 1992, the Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation has awarded more than $47 million giving over 468 grants to organizations throughout the community.
The foundation’s legacy is a fitting tribute to Dr. Macdonald, a man whose life was spent giving back to his community in the most meaningful way possible—by identifying needs, seeking solutions and working with people and organizations to make Miami-Dade County a healthier and safer place to live.